If the subject line sounds familiar to you, you’re right! It’s a play on She Blinded Me With Science by Thomas Dolby. (A song on any 80s music fan’s playlist!)
This week we listened to an audiobook of The Science of Getting Rich, by Wallace D. Wattles. And if THAT sounds familiar to you, it should…I think the book is on just about every list of books that entrepreneurs absolutely MUST read!
“If you have not consciously made the decision to be rich, excellent, and healthy, then you have unconsciously made the decision to be poor, mediocre, and unhealthy.” Author, Wallace D. Wattles
Now I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve known about the book for YEARS, though I never picked it up. And many people who HAVE BOUGHT the book haven’t finished reading it. (I’m guessing they didn’t put it on their service card and promise to do it!)
Thankfully, you can find full recordings of the book on YouTube!
NOTE: There are several…and some of the people reading the book have such a monotone voice that lulls the listener to sleep… This one is my favorite, though feel free to find a recording in a voice that speaks to you…literally!:
Don’t feel like listening to the 2 hour audiobook?
Here are some my favorite quotes from The Science of Getting Rich:
On Success & Being Rich
- Success in life is becoming what you want to be.
- Whatever may be said in praise of poverty, the fact remains that it is not possible to live a really complete or successful life unless one is rich.
- No man is kept poor because opportunity has been taken away from him.
- Get rich; that is the best way you can help the poor.
- People must be taught to become rich by creation, not by competition.
- You must get rid of the thought of competition. You are to create, not to compete for what is already created.
- Desire is the effort of the unexpressed possibility within, seeking expression without through your actions.
- The desire for riches is simply the capacity for larger life seeking fulfillment; every desire is the effort of an unexpressed possibility to come into action.
- It is the desire of God that you should get rich.
- The universe desires you to have everything you want to have.
- Thought is the only power which can produce tangible riches . . .
- You must never think for a moment that the supply is limited.
- To think what you want to think is to think TRUTH, regardless of appearances.
- By thought, the thing you want is brought to you. By action, you receive it.
- To think according to appearance is easy; to think truth regardless of appearances is laborious, and requires the expenditure of more power than any other work man is called upon to perform.
- The whole process of mental adjustment and atonement can be summed up in one word, gratitude.
- Many people who order their lives rightly in all other ways are kept in poverty by their lack of gratitude.
- The more gratefully we fix our minds on the Supreme when good things come to us, the more good things we will receive.
- Gratitude will lead your mind out along the ways by which things come.
- There is a Law of Gratitude, and it is absolutely necessary that you should observe the law, if you are to get the results you seek.
- Without gratitude you cannot long keep from dissatisfied thought regarding things as they are.
- The grateful mind is constantly fixed upon the best; therefore it tends to become the best.
- The grateful mind continually expects good things, and expectation becomes faith.
On Being Specific
- You must form a clear and definite mental picture of what you want; you cannot transmit an idea unless you have it yourself.
- You can never get rich, or start the creative power into action, by sending out unformed longings and vague desires.
- All you need is to know what you want, and to want it badly enough so that it will stay in your thoughts.
- The more clear and definite you make your picture then, and the more you dwell upon it, bringing out all its delightful details, the stronger your desire will be.
- The man who can sincerely thank God for the things which as yet he owns only in imagination, has real faith.
- It is faith and purpose in the use of the imagination which make the difference between the scientist and the dreamer.
- Hold to the FAITH that the imaginary is being realized, and to the PURPOSE to realize it.
On How to Focus Your Attention
- Think and speak of all the things you have asked for in terms of actual present ownership.
- It is easy to understand that the nearer we live to the source of wealth, the more wealth we shall receive.
- It is by your will that you determine upon what things your attention shall be fixed.
- To permit your mind to dwell upon the inferior is to become inferior and to surround yourself with inferior things.
- To fix your attention on the best is to surround yourself with the best, and to become the best.
- The science of getting rich does not require you to apply power or force to any other person, in any way whatsoever.
- To get rich, you need only to use your will power upon yourself.